Wednesday, September 9, 2009


Wednesday morning. Steady light rain, calm, mid 50s. The forecast is for a wind advisory for tomorrow.

Over the long weekend, I determined the problem with the fresh water engine cooling system. The hose barb on the thermostat housing broke off. It’s not a part you can go to the local Napa store and walk out with. I called the Mercedes dealer in Anchorage and after some research, Kelly, the parts guy was able to order one. When it gets in, Dirk or Amy will forward it on. Thanks guys.

The other event was the departure of the Resolute. Steve and his father Chuck headed up through Olga and Neva Straits yesterday afternoon to await the tides for Sergius Narrows and Peril Strait today. They are headed for Baranof Warm Springs, Petersburg, and points south. I was sorry to see them go. Steve is a terrific sailor and a great traveling partner. Fair winds to you, gentlemen.

I am enjoying this town. The market is wonderful. Their prices are about 2/3s of what they were in Valdez and the produce is edible even after 2 days. They carry several of my favorite items and they are only a block away. I’ve tried a couple of restaurants and spotted several more I intend to try. Steve and I tried the Italian one last week: really good pizza. We got a big kick out of the fact that both the cook and the waitress are Asian. I wonder if the Mexican restaurant is run by Bulgarians.

I finally broke out the bicycle and am beginning bike exploration. Sitka has bike lanes! And hills. Guess I’ll have to repair the front derailleur…and get used to riding in raingear.

ap

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you have good eating arrangements! that is always number one in my book! btw, i google imaged valdez, ak and one of the pictures of the harbor is a shot of the blue note! you're famous! i was showing megan my roomy and she was amazed! love you! jill

    ReplyDelete