Thursday, September 3, 2009

The dock lines are cut!


Friday morning. Blue Note is tied to a mooring in Virgin Bay, Prince William Sound. The weather is rainy, windy, low to mid 50s, barometer falling. A small craft advisory is posted today for PWS. No time to be out voyaging around. We’re sheltered from the brunt of the wind here but the boat is rocking and Jazz has his worried thing going. This mooring is bombproof though and we’re warm and safe.

Leaving Valdez was bitter-sweet, of course. The Friday-or-Saturday plan turned out to be wildly optimistic. I had forgotten about my Monday get together with the kids and Dirk’s departure for Anchorage.

Tuesday looked good and then the kids couldn’t make it. Rik, Susan, and Austin came down to the boat Tuesday afternoon. Rik brought Anchor Steam, my favorite beer, and Susan brought wine. We sat on the foredeck, drank the beer and talked. Susan poured the wine over the bow and with Poseidon appeased we said our goodbyes. Departure in the morning?

Well no. I hadn’t taken in to account the Leaving Time Factor. The LTF goes like this. You’re busy stowing things when you realize you have forgotten to pick up a supposedly very important item. So you whip over to the store where you run into three people, separately of course, who have heard you are leaving and, in most instances, want to hear the story. So after telling it three times you get back to the boat where you discover you need this other thing. This Ouroboros syndrome can repeat until the boat sinks from the weight and or Christmas comes.

All things for a reason though. Pam came by Wednesday and surprised me with some Fu Kung moushu (sp?) pork, another favorite. We had a pleasant dinner, a tearful goodbye and I left.

Well, I’ve listened to the weather forecast on the VHF and looked at the HF faxes I just received and it looks like Monday might be opportune for the crossing. I think I will call Steve, my cruising partner on the S/V Resolute, and make plans for leaving here for Garden Cove, Hinchinbrook Island, Sunday.

ap

No comments:

Post a Comment